Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Manager
We usually respond within a month
Backbone Media is a leader in public relations and paid media for top active lifestyle and outdoor brands. We specialize in helping brands grow their market share and direct-to-consumer business.
At Backbone, we live by the mantra that passion drives results. We strive to align our clients with our team members’ interests, bridging the gap between work and play and keeping an eye on the elusive work/life harmony. If you join our team of smart, driven marketers, you’ll become part of an extended work family, drawn together by a passion for an active lifestyle.
This position is remote-eligible to individuals residing in the United States.
The SEM Manager will be responsible for the strategy, execution, and optimization of paid media marketing strategies on behalf of Backbone’s clients. They will partner with the client and Backbone strategists to develop a cohesive media strategy and build and optimize Search, Shopping, YouTube, and Display campaigns on Google and Bing Ads.
The position requires the ability to apply detailed knowledge and expertise to actionable insights and recommendations. The successful candidate will have experience managing mid-to-large SEM accounts, either for an agency or in-house, as well as the skills and enthusiasm necessary to be a part of an amazing team.
- Establish innovative SEM strategies using a variety of campaign types across the Google and Bing Ads ecosystems to execute a full funnel strategy and hit client goals.
- Deliver integrated paid search media campaigns that complement other online and offline channels to drive incrementality.
- Build account structure and implement Performance Max, Search, Shopping, Display, and YouTube campaigns for active lifestyle retail brands and destination tourism.
- Analyze data and identify trends to make recommendations and effectively optimize campaigns to drive brand awareness and engagement, increase conversions, and improve conversion rates.
- Present strategy, recommendations, and reports to clients on a bi-weekly, monthly, and quarterly cadence that lead to powerful insights and actionable optimizations.
- Pace SEM budgets to reach the allocated monthly spend and manage campaign budgets to maximize performance.
- Maintain relationship with Premium Agency Support from Google and continue your SEM education to follow the Google roadmap and evolve strategies.
- Support in helping the growth and development of the SEM team and educate Backbone Media Strategists and Coordinators in SEM techniques and trends.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 2+ years in managing SEM campaigns with experience in ecommerce as a plus.
- Platform certification and previous experience in Google Ads and Google Analytics.
- Detail-oriented with exceptional critical-thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- Able to prioritize, multi-task and work under pressure.
- Self-motivated and excited to take on new challenges.
- Comprehensive experience with relevant marketing technology stacks, including but not limited to: Google Ads, Bing Ads, Google Analytics, Google Data Studio, and Tableau.
- Strong working knowledge of Excel and competency in PowerPoint and Word.
- Build and apply SEM strategies across varying campaign types, including architecting campaign and ad group structure, branded and non-branded keyword strategies, Performance Max Listing and Asset Groups, Smart Bidding, location and audience targeting, and placement and exclusion strategies.
- Analytical approach to managing data with a strong desire for quantitative analysis and testing to identify opportunities for optimization and meet KPIs and client goals.
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to articulate strategic approaches through verbal, written, and visual presentations to clients.
The Extra Mile
- Experience with Google Merchant Center, Feedonomics or other product feed management platforms, Google Tag Manager, Semrush, and Asana are a plus.
- Knowledge of SEO principals and application.
- Understanding of Backbone’s core values.
- A love of the outdoors.
- A sense of humor.
Be you, on our team. We seek to build an inclusive team and culture that values diverse lived experiences, backgrounds, and skill sets.
Salary: $65,000 annual plus benefits, dependent on experience
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, 401k match
Perks: Flex time, powder days, wellness incentives, work from home/remote work options, office kegs, team hikes, floats, runs and playtime
About Backbone Media: We are the country's leading active lifestyle media agency. For 25 years, Backbone has partnered with brands big and small to develop and execute effective, integrated media strategies. With offices in Carbondale and Denver, Colorado, Backbone has been consistently included on Outside Magazine’s “Best Places to Work” list.
Please no phone calls regarding job inquiries.
Backbone provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Paid Search
- Carbondale , Denver, Anywhere USA
- Remote status
- Hybrid Remote
About Backbone Media
Founded in 1997 in Carbondale, Colorado, Backbone is a marketing agency for outdoor and active lifestyle brands with services across the paid and earned media landscape.
Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Manager
Loading application form
Already working at Backbone Media?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.